- Wake in the morning, search ruins, head back to the point from which we were sidetracked.
- Dane notices that the forest is different – leaves seem thicker and more leathery than he would expect. More like skin than leaves. Bark is also more fleshy. Subtle effect, nobody else notice.
- Uryens nature check: this is happening throughout the area. Looks like carnivorous plants but they don’t seem to be carnivorous.
- Uryens Arcana check says that this could be arcane based, most likely a ritual with a large area of effect if it is this.
- An hour later we see a stone wall, and a burned out farmstead. Bloated cows, burned corpses. Attackers were wanton and merciless – kill and leave.
- Several individuals, men, women, children, some killed with blade, some with arrows. Farmhouse has some stone in walls but is burned out. About 5 dead cattle.
- Wall, eight feet tall, continues a long way in both directions; we know there is a way through the wall but it is a ways away from here.
- Booted tracks lead up to wall and over it. Small humanoid tracks, not like those we recently fought.
- Bodies were not touched after death; not even nature (no flies, etc) even around the cattle.
- We went around the wall, so that we could bring the horse with is.
- Tracks end not far from a thicker area of forest. Black arrows shoot out from foliage; surprise attack!
- “Foral” attacks with a volley of arrows that immobilizes a bunch of us; 3 snipers with him.
Wolves attack mid-combat – hungry and weak.
- Somebody knows what the creatures are, my notes do not include – I was doing something else and missed the description.
- We kept one of them alive and tried to convince him to calm down; eventually managed to break him out of it.
- Creature magically cursed, we kind of broke it; he breaks and cries, tells us woods are cursed and we need to get out; cursed his friends, etc. We asked him about the farm before he started crying. Ask about Naldemar, he knows of him, must go through woods to get there; about six hours travelling to get there but it is hard to know with travel how long it will take. Originally tried to flee the woods but couldn’t escape because of the warping effects.
- “Alourm” is the name of the species.
- Trip through the forest, skill challenge, every hour make 1-2 skill checks to try to make good progress.
- Distances stretch, trails move in weird ways from one place to another as we pass by them.
- First hour: Flitting shadows, horrid laughing, unnatural even for the Geistwald. No animals anywhere, not even insects. Trees seem to be laughing at us.
- We resist the magic in the first hour with Arcana checks; the Alourm helps, and those skilled in Arcana do well.
- Second hour, laughter is in our heads, not auditory. Whispers of vague horrifying things that we can barely make out.
- Physical barrier, wall of thorns and stuff; cut through with athletics or twist through with acrobatics. Mikaila cuts through enough to help the rest of us.
- Pockets of dense forest mingle with the woods, but we make out a clearing with a bog at its center. Slight movement lets us see slim forms within the trees.
- Past the clearing, swampy and mucky; constantly attacked by midges and mosquitos. Can make endurance to fight it, or come up with other way to deal with them.
- Perception to find our way through, failed, extra hour; near centre of evil; stealth check fail, find clearing with ruined evil temple (?) and monolith on a hill crawling with evil runes. Wall in front of monolith, but can see monolith over the wall. Big evil moving tree thing with writhing long branches in a shallow pit.
- Hear a strange terrible voice, small twiglike creatures crawl out of the ground.
- Burst of psychic energy from the tree. Warrior comes into view, twisted evil mask face thing, black mail armor. While damaging the tree with one of Uryens’ ice powers, we hear a horrible scream in our minds.
- Lines begin to appear in the tree when it is bloodied; whispers in our mind grow louder, etc.
Lightining attack that hits almost everyone, reduce AC & fort, ongoing lightning damage.
- Gain a level.
Session 2, 2010-09-25